In honor of the bottle of Punt e Mes I opened to make a batch of Manhattans for barrel-aging (more about that at some later time), I decided to mix up a Father's Advice, a cocktail I'd seen on the Cocktail Virgin blog. I'm on a mission to make sure I properly dispose of the Punt e Mes before it expires in a couple of months and this drink was one that used it and that I hadn't tried before.
Really quite complex and lovely. The Punt e Mes and Cardamaro come through on the sip, with the rum and a hint of banana really shining on the swallow. The sweetness of the sherry helps ties the whole thing together. It's a nice, bitter and light cocktail that's perfect for this San Francisco summer weather we're having right now.
- 1 1/2 oz Amber Rum (Bacardi Gold)
- 1/2 oz Punt e Mes
- 1/2 oz. Cardamaro
- 1/2 oz. Amontillado Sherry (feel free to try other types of dry sherry if you don't have Amontillado on hand)
- 1/4 oz. Gillard Banane du Brésil
- Combine everything in a mixing glass, add ice, and stir to chill.
- Strain into a cocktail coupe
- Garnish with an orange twist and cherry on a toothpick